Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Game Day



I'm over my down in the dumps mood now. haha.

Today was game day. :o) Tomorrow is game day #2. My doctor does back to back IUI's to increase the chances.{or maybe to get more money? who knows! }

IUI 101:
Intrauterine Insemination.
Doesnt it just sound awful? It reminds me of 7th grade, when artificial insemination first came about. On sheep. And cows.  Sometimes I feel like a cow when I'm there!!!

It's a very awkward procedure. For BOTH the male and female. I'll share stories about that some other day. The actual IUI takes only minutes, but preparing for it takes forever. And my doctors office is slammed all the time so it takes even longer.

If you want to know more about IUI, check it out  HERE.

Have you seen The Backup Plan?




 There's a scene where Jennifer Lopez is going through an IUI. Of course, she's not actually doing it so she still looks all lovely and is in no pain. It's still pretty funny though. I however, usually look like a mess by the time it's over. I'm either crying or in extreme pain.  Now for some girls, there's not a whole lot of discomfort. But for me, I take 4 advil, i've tried before and after and it cramps like a mother! Then you have to lay there for 20 minutes while your in pain. Ah such a small price to pay I guess. And why do they make you lie there forever with just a towel draped over you? Umm...uncomfortable. Then today the nurses were SO not on their game. No offense to you nurses out there-- your job is a hard one-- but man i've had bad luck with them. Three times a nurse walked into my room thinking I was someone else.  You may not think it's a big deal but when you're lying there half naked on a table, or your husband is trying to supply his sample (for lack of better terms) it's a little awkward. Really people? Remember where you put your patients! There ARE 2 nurses there that I do love though so I guess that makes up for the other bad ones.

Before I say more about the IUI, this is what my ovulation predictor test looks like the day after the hcg shot. The smiley face is so inviting.  It makes me happy. This just makes sure my body is doing what it's supposed to. And for those of you trying to get pregnant, a handy little tool to help decipher when to do the baby dance.


 


The first time I did the IUI procedure I had NO clue what to expect. 
The day before I had done a test called a Post Coital Test.  I thought it would be similar. 
Boy was I wrong! I didnt know it would be painful and so afterwords I went into complete shock. Like bawling, shaking, and all that. Haha. Poor Jacob didnt know what to do.  It's still painful everytime, you'd think it'd get easier but it doesnt!  One out of the 8 i've done so far (2 each cycle) has been painless. My doctor always tells me, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy." Me either. Well... maybe my worst enemy. What?! :o)

I told you yesterday my darling husband was sick. He was a trooper today! Came to the office in his sweats, hacking away. Got the job done. The nurses told him not to die on them today. He went to our normal family doctor today and he's got asthma induced bronchitis. Poor thing. He's got an inhaler now he has to use everyday. Asthma and acid reflux dont really mix well. :o(

Tomorrow is game day #2! I'll update then!

Swim sperm swim! You don't have that far to go! :o)

If any of you have any questions about this process, what something means, or want to hear about a certain event... let me know! I'm happy to share!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Yes, I have a question. What is "supplying the sample?" haha! Hilarious way to put it!

{Praying for swimmers}

Love you!!

Tiffany said...

Jacob says a very uncomfortable, embarassing, and anxiety ridden event involving a cup, a cold, dark, lonely room and a paper thin door separating him from 10 other people right outside. haha!