Saturday, February 26, 2011

Endo-what?!

Today was ultrasound number 1 of this cycle.

We were hopeful that the new medicine worked better~and I think it did a little~ we had the usual bunch of little follicles, but we also had a HUGE follicle. Bigger than I've ever had and it's still early on. Hopefully that's a good thing. It could also mean a cyst or hyperstimulation. It looked similar to the one below-- maybe a little smaller.  {This is NOT my ultrasound by the way} The picture below shows a cyst. My follicle measured 25 mm thought- which is crazy to me.  That's right around where they want them to be at the time of ovulation induction. Hopefully more of then grow to that size and that one stays the same! Hyperstimulation can cause hospitalization. It is very painful. Read more about it here.



Usually when we have Saturday ultrasounds I spend more time talking with the Dr. because we're the only ones there (his office isnt open on Saturday's). Today I was more worried about the possibility of Endometriosis



Now I had asked my old gynecologist about this about 7 years ago. After spending junior high and high school with the WORST periods {crippling cramps, heavy-LONG periods, throwing up} -sorry male readers :o) There were a few times in high school where I actually did pass out due to the pain. And I almost always threw up! So weird.

After I graduated I thought, I'm sick of this! I went in and asked if she thought I had this condition. She said maybe, but to try birth control pills. She also told me that it normally clears up after having children. Odd-- it can cause infertility but can also be cured by having children? What is that, some sort of sick joke?! Not cool! 

Anyway, birth control pills did the trick for me and I haven't had much of a problem since, even after I quit taking pills 2 years ago.  I did recently wonder though if I may have endometriosis still, after learning that my mom had it. So I asked Dr. O about it. He said he didnt have a reason to believe that I did, but it was a possibility we may have to explore if I'm still not pregnant. It does require SURGERY to diagnos so it wasn't something he wanted to jump to conclusions about. Makes sense I guess. Still does NOT sound or LOOK like a fun day.



Today at the ultrasound he started asking me questions about how bad my periods were, if I'd had surgery before, or if anyone in my family had endometriosis before.  

My heart sank. Dangit, I thought. What a setback! While it's not a "for sure" thing, it's a big possibility that this might be something linked to my infertility.  I do have some of the signs and symptoms- and if your mom or sister had it, then your SIX TIMES more likely to have it as well. Lucky me.

If we dont get pregnant this cycle, then looks like SURGERY is in the near future for me. Which means more money and more time. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Next ultrasound is Tuesday~hoping for a better prognosis then!

1 comment:

Cristy said...

Well Endo is what caused my infertility and I pray that is not the case for you, because it's a very painful thing to deal with. I've had 2 surgeries, and I'm on birth control pills, to help with my symptoms, however there is no cure and it will continue to grow and cause problems, in my case....praying this is not the case for you Tiff, hang in there, you are still in my prayers!!!