Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Facts About Miscarriage

I thought I'd follow up my previous post with some facts about miscarriages.


It's not a subject that a lot of people talk about and I sure didnt know much about it before I had one myself. I didn't know what to say to someone who had gone through this, I didn't know what it would feel like. I want to educate everyone about this.


Miscarriage happens in almost 25% of pregnancies. Maybe even up to 1 in 3 pregnancies! It's actually a pretty common occurrence! 


Most miscarriages happen in the first trimester- most commonly between the 7th and 14th week. 75% of early losses occur before 12 weeks.


It may surprise some of you to learn that miscarriage is actually a birth! The pain you feel during miscarriage is labor much like that of childbirth. I can attest to this pain and can rest assured in my decision to get an epidural should I ever get to give birth! haha! No toughing it out for me! :o)

The delivery occurs because the uterus contracts and the cervix opens. Some women bleed a lot, and even scare them and cramping usually occurs.  This doesnt happen in everyone though. There are some women that need a D&C (Dilation and curettage) to prevent prolonged bleeding and infection.

The major causes of miscarriage in the first 12 weeks is random, genetic errors which result in incorrect development of the baby. This is what most doctors will tell you-- "It's just a genetic defect. Your baby would have been deformed anyway..." It doesnt really give you that much peace and closure, but I guess that's just the the plain old facts. These are not preventable.

Another known cause is low progesterone levels. {which is what I found out that I have} Progesterone is the hormone that maintains the lining of the uterus so it can support the growth of the fertilized egg. This CAN be treated with supplement of natural progesterin in future pregnancies.

Some other causes:

  • Incompetent Cervix (see here)
  • Blighted Ovum (see here)

Here are some things that are known to NOT cause miscarriage. A lot of women stress that they "did something wrong" and that's why they miscarried. Simply not true!
  • Previous use of an IUD
  • Use of birth control
  • Work, Exercise or sports
  • Sex
  • Occasional use of over the counter medicines or alcohol
  • Anxiety
There are also many different ways to react to a miscarriage. Each woman's emotions are different. None of them are right or wrong. They just are. Some may be devastated by it, others may feel like it's just an experience they have to live through. You may mourn--deeply, a little, or somewhere in between. It is as normal not to grieve as it is to be devastated.  All of these reactions are normal.

Here's some good news for those of you have endured this: The success of pregnancy following one or even two miscarriages is better than previously thought. Your chances of having a healthy baby after one or two miscarriages is about the same as if you have never had a miscarriage. Good news!

No comments: