Friday, December 30, 2011

Designing Help Needed!!!!

So we have a huge bedroom, and it's got an addition to it making it a weird shape. I have all this room and am NOT utilizing it.  We don't have much bedroom furniture right now, only a headboard that is too small, two small nightstands, and three dressers that I've had since I was 10.

Needless to say, it's time to get some grown up furniture!!!

Hubby and I are having issues agreeing on the style of bedroom furniture (I want a set that matches- you know, bed, dresser with mirror set and stuff). I'm motivated by not only a good deal, but a matching set that is timeless. Jacob seems to be more motivated by just the price. Not surprising- he is a guy after all! And although I really don't want to spend a fortune on this stuff either I would really like to have a sophisticated, pretty, finished bedroom.

So here's where I need your help! Below are pictures of our bedroom. Our bed is in the back part (the addition) and the whole front room where our bathroom and closets are just have those dressers.
I want to move the bed to the front room, Jacob likes it in the back. There are pluses and minuses to either way-- so what do you all think about the best way to utilize the space?

Decorating/Designing tips welcome!!!!

By the way: are there any good bedroom designing websites out there?

Back part of room- two windows and a skylight make it very bright in the summer!
 
 One plus- our little tv is mounted on the wall back here-- and when Jacob gets up early he can turn the light on in the front room and get dressed without bothering me too much.
 Front room-- I hate how just the dressers are here and nothing else. (getting rid of these dressers and want a dresser/mirror set)

 Bathroom is to the left when you walk in the room


I'm no good at this.... HELP!!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Tiffany! Here's my two cents! I do not have the decorating gene - try as I might. But I have friends who do (and I love a good home decorating show!)...and what I've found is that the rooms that look the most fancy, the most put-together, the most homey are rooms that have furniture that doesn't actually match (as in a matching set), but pieces that coordinate together to make a cohesive design. So instead of end tables that match the headboard, that match the dressers that match a vanity table...etc...you might try to find a headboard that you really love, and build from there. Maybe you find end tables that are in a similar style, but maybe in one of your accent colors, for example. You could even do two different nightstands, but in the exact color...so they go together, but they're not cookie cutter. Sometimes it can even be cheaper to do it piecemeal like this because furniture stores charge a lot for the matching sets. However, it is MUCH easier to just find things that automatically go together...and I am all about simplicity...so if you find a set that you're totally in love with, then definitely go with it. Just my two cents!! Good luck!!! Check out this website...
http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2011/12/room-design-decor-101-the-process/

Jonny and Brittany said...

I just ran across your blog- congrats on hitting 12 weeks! I think the shape of your room is different but it makes it fun to work with! :) Excited to follow along with you since we are due pretty close together :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the good advice Michelle!

Brittany-- I've been following your blog since you found out you were pregnant too! :o)