Monday, July 18, 2011

Summers are all about GOLF!

I guess there is nothing that will get your mind off everything like golf.  I have never been depressed enough to take up the game, but they say you get so sore at yourself you forget to hate your enemies.  ~Will Rogers

My summers (for the most part) have been spent golfing since I was 2. I remember going along to my dad's golf tournaments in my swimsuit, carrying my little pink putter, picking up people's lost golf balls, putting on the practice greens, riding in the golf carts, and helping hand out awards at the end. There were numerous summer nights where we'd head to the golf course as a family and play a round. Not to mention the section of grass we tore up in our side yard hitting for the flag in the field at our house!

It's no different now. My family still loves to golf, my dad golfs ALL the time and usually my mom is with him. My husband  got the golf bug and golfs way more than me, which is making him BETTER than me... which is causing some major battles on the course! I used to beat him by a long shot everytime. Now we are pretty even, despite the fact he can hit the ball a gazillion times farther than me most of the time. I still have a pretty good tee shot with my driver though. :o) I blame it on the fact that I have no girlfriends that golf. He has a ton of men he can golf with! Totally not fair. Girls out there... learn to golf and come play with me so we can beat our husbands! :o)

Recently we were up at Golf Universe looking for me a new set of irons. We still haven't found the right one's yet (and they're spendy!). But there was a pro up there that was offering lessons for 3 people for $60. So my dad, Jacob, and I did it for a little golf tune up. He video'd our swings and critiqued us.  I had nothing to get critiqued on except keeping my tempo steady.  Of course, right after the lesson we went out to play and I completely LOST my swing. Doesnt that always happen?! It does to me. I'm STILL trying to get my swing back to normal! He didn't even change anything...go figure!  Jacob on the other hand, got some good tips and improved his game a lot which ended in him winning that round. We went out this weekend though and I'm happy to say despite my (still somewhat) lost swing, we still tied. :o)

Anyway, for those of you who care:
Here's our golf videos. If you slow them down or pause you can see the technique of the swings better. 

My Swing

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.  ~Arnold Palmer

There's nothing like the feel and the look of a good drive that's for sure!

Jacob's Swing


If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.  ~Horace G. Hutchinson

I love this last quote... unfortunately so true. Golf can make you in the best mood or the worst mood in an instant! It does however, make you forget about everything else in life no matter if you're playin good or bad! (referring to the first quote)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Loved this post Toot! Both yours and Jacobs swings look so Natural! :) I liked the quotes as-well. I can't wait to get home to play with you guys. Hopefully by then I'll be able to somewhat keep up.

Jeff