Friday, August 12, 2011

Untold Stories of Traveling!

Sometimes traveling isn't all fun and games. I tend to get SUPER stressed right before we take a trip, or Jacob leaves town but I'm slowly getting better at this. I think Jacob might disagree though. Haha!

I thought I would take some time to share with you some of the funnier things that happened during our trip overseas.

  1. First night of arrival in Istanbul we had a welcome reception at our hotel. The entertainment was a Turkish "spiritual ceremony" called a Whirling Dervish. Now mind you this a room full of for the most part "conservative" Christians who sell Church Insurance. There were a few gasps in the crowd, mostly from the older generations, saying "What exactly kind of spiritual ceremony is this?" I had to laugh. You have to experience different cultures right?! Except the Whirling Dervish might just have been too much for all of us. Seriously You Tube it.  It's a bunch of men chanting and spinning in circles. Really strange and not that fun to watch for 20 plus minutes after you've spent all night on a plane! Haha! 
  2. We woke up the next day ready to hit the spice market and board the ship. Unfortunately I plugged my hair straightener (I DID have the converter mind you) into the outlet in the bathroom. Little did I know that in Turkey, Greece, and Europe apparently you can only use that outlet for men's shaving clippers. Would have been nice to know before hand!! Needless to say, it blew up. I tried everything to fix it. I had a bellman bring up a huge electrical converter to try and help me to no avail.  I then promptly started crying. Minor meltdown. Jacob thought I was losing my mind but I yelled at him "It's like my clothes! My hair is my clothes!!!"  Haha! It's funny looking back at now, but having a long thick, coarse head of hair like mine is not easy to tame without a flat iron! We randomly found a $10 one in the spice market with a european outlet so it sort of did the trick. I can't wait to get my new flat iron in the mail soon though! 3 weeks without wearing my hair down is starting to get at me! :o)
  3. We were so tired after our tour in Kusadasi, Turkey that we laid down to take a nap around 4:00 pm and didn't awake until almost 10:00 when we forced ourselves to go eat something for dinner, then promptly went back to bed! We tend to do this on cruise ships for some reason! Maybe the rocking puts us to sleep?!
  4. There were about 7 couples who got into mope-head/scooter accidents during the two days on the smaller islands! A lot of road rash and bruises but no serious injuries thank goodness!
  5. One night I was getting ready for dinner and I was wearing a black skirt so I put on a white tank top. It may have been a little flowy and longer, and yes my hair was in a bun due to the lack of hair styling tools... Jacob says to me "Do not wear that. You look like an amish girl!" I got so mad, but I hadnt looked in a mirror yet. He may have been right. :o)
  6. Jacob was looking for me one afternoon on the ship. I got hungry so went to grab something to eat by the pool. He asked some people from our group if they'd seen me and they told him they say me walking around with some "guy in a speedo." haha! There were A LOT of dudes in speedos. Gross!
  7. We were swimming in the sea in Kusadasi and watched a little boy get carried out because he had a huge fish hook stuck through his leg. We did NOT get back in the water!
  8. During one night on the ship it was particularly rocky. Jacob woke up in the middle of the night and staggered down the hallway, into the closet, then back to the bed. I asked him what he was doing and he said "Where am I? How do I get to the bathroom?" Haha! It really freaked me out for a minute!



No comments: