Thursday, October 20, 2011

So Done!!!

So today marked the final straw for me. I just can't handle my doctors office anymore. CANNOT HANDLE! 

First off I go up there because they called me to schedule a follow-up appointment.  I didn't really know what for, but I needed to talk to Dr.O anyways because I haven't started my cycle again yet so I took the appointment.  I leave here at 11:00 am-- it takes an hour to get to his office. My appointment is at 1:00 but I wanted to check in early to get on the list since he's ALWAYS running behind.  I try to check in over the phone with two different people and get two different answers about how late he's running, how I can't check in over the phone, or how I can come early.... blah blah blah.

So Jacob and I decide to go to lunch first. Normally he wouldnt come on these types of appointments but since this is kind of like us starting all over again, he wanted to come and ask questions and see what the plan was.

12:45 pm-- we check in. The lady on the phone tells us he's running on time. Lady at check in says he's an hour and a half behind. Jacob leaves to go run errands and keep himself occupied for awhile. 3:45 we get back to our room after me asking a few times where we're at in line. The nurse tells me that I need an annual exam. I say "Ok sure I've been needing one anyway, although that would have been nice to know ahead of time." I get in my gown. The nurse asks me when my last period was. Yeah, like I know that! "Not since before April" I tell her.  She asks me if I've taken a test. Do I look like I've taken a test? No, of course not. Why would I? I've already spent three hours there and gone pee twice and now she's asking me for a urine sample.  She gives me a water bottle and I down it and go pee. 4:15.  4:20.  4:30.  Jacob goes and asks the nurse where he's at. "I'll tell him you're waiting," is the response. 4:40. Jacob goes out again and says "We seriously have to leave at 5:00 pm." Nurse says, "He had to deliver a baby and he's not coming back. Hahaha. Just joking." Jacob's face is not amused. Nurse says "Oh, that probably wasn't funny was it." 4:55. I decide to put on my clothes and leave.
As I'm walking out the door there are probably 15 or so people in the waiting room. The office closes at 5:00.... I just shake my head. Poor people.

I wait outside for awhile for Jacob. He's trying to get to an office manager and they keep shutting him down. So he comes out to the car and calls them and asks to speak with Dr.O directly. They put up a fight but Jacob demands and finally we get him on the phone.  Jacob lays into him, not "harshly" per say but very FIRMLY states that this situation is not working out for us. As much as we love him as a doctor and have invested a year with him, unless something changes we just can't do it.  He does not tell us what we want to hear. Other than he and his nurse Mashayla are very fond of us, but he's got 80, kid you not, 80 patients a day. (thanks to his partner who recently up and left the practice leaving him all the patients to take over).

We decide to call another clinic on our way home  and schedule an appointment for November 9. We tell them our frustrations, what we've been doing, and what we think Dr. O was planning on doing again and state we cannot have the same kind of arrangements. They are mortified at Dr.O's wait time and assure us we will not wait more than 15 minutes unless of emergencies.  Well praise the Lord I hope they're right!

Here's the bottom line: I love Dr.O. I would have referred him to anyone a year ago. I've invested a week a month for a year with him and his nurses. We're comfortable with each other. He knows my husband. He knows my body.  But it's not enough to like each other. I need CARE. And I need TIME. And i'm just not getting that.  Even nurse Mashayla told me today, "We used to be the clinic everyone referred people to because we DID take the time with everyone. We're so busy we just can't do that anymore and it's sad."  That pretty much sealed the deal for me right there.  In the infertility world... care and time are of an urgent matter. I feel good about moving on to a different doctor. And I sure as heck am going to lay down the law at the first appointment! No more "going with the flow" for me!

Say a prayer for us.  Even though we don't mind waiting a little longer-- it's still super stressful to lose a doctor (a friend), and start all over again. It's stressful that my body is not doing what it should. And it's stressful that we even have to be stressed about stressing over a freaking doctor appointment!

Thanks for listening. :o)

No comments: